Its not everyday that I get a Laptop to mess around with especially if that laptop isn’t yours >:). They story begins from the Computer Science Department in our college. As a part of the TEQUIP program (a program that is supposed to give better facilities to the students by external funding to the technical college from organizations like The World Bank) a separate funding was provided to the Computer Science Department to provide Laptops to all the final year students’ project group doing their main project. At first sight I wasn’t slightly interested in a Laptop, primarily because of the following reasons
- They were real expensive
- They are real delicate equipment
- Lacked a lot of features
- Maintenance Cost was high
- I already owned a PDA (Toshiba e310 Pocket PC)
So I never considered buying a Laptop for myself until I got one from the college. At first I was pretty reluctant to take it home because of its weight and the extra luggage from college to home etc. But the group decided to give it to me since we had to install Linux for project work and I was the one more familiar with installing and uninstalling stuff from computers. So I said to myself what the hell and took the Laptop home.
After reaching I made an inventory of the stuff present in the Leather Case the college gave me.
The basic content
- HP Compaq nx6120 (The Laptop itself)
- Power Cable (3 Square Pin)
- Power Cable (Round Pin)
- Square to Round Adapter
- Adapter / PSU
- Restore CD (Original Windows XP with SP 2)
- Restore DVD
- Leather Bag
- Modem Cable
- Cable Carry Case
- Ethernet Cables (Cross & Straight) (I put these in for connecting laptops)
Cover List
- Pink Plastic Cover
- Restore CD Cover - 2
- Leather Bag Tag
- Power Cable Cover
- Modem Cable Cover
- Battery Cover
- Manuel Cover
Manuel List
- HP Notebook Accessories
- Caution Manuel
- End User License Agreement
- Worldwide Telephone Numbers
- Setting the Television Video Standard
- Limited Warranty & Technical Support
- Chinese Manuel
- Getting Started
I made a list of these things then I proceeded to find out the hardware details of the computer. I powered it up and saw it was preinstalled with Windows XP SP 2. I plugged in my flash drive which contained EVEREST Home Edition and found out the specs of the Laptop. To my surprise the specs were pretty stunning and gave good value for money
General:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack: Service Pack 2
DirectX: 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name: YOUR-A9279112E3
User Name: Administrator
Motherboard:
CPU Type: Mobile Intel Pentium M 740J, 1733 MHz (13 x 133)
Motherboard Name: Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq nx6120 (EJ920PA#UUF)
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Alviso-G i915GM
System Memory: 247 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type: Unknown (07/25/05)
Communication Port: Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port: ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
Display:
Video Adapter: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family (64 MB)
Video Adapter: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family (64 MB)
3D Accelerator: Intel GMA 900
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]
Multimedia:
Audio Adapter: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1]
Storage:
IDE Controller: Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
IDE Controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller (Smart Card Reader)
Disk Drive: FUJITSU MHV2040AH (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100) SMART Enabled
Optical Drive: TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-L462C (DVD:8x, CD:24x/10x/24x DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Input:
Keyboard: Quick Launch Buttons
Mouse: Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
Network:
Network Adapter: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Network Adapter: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Modem: Agere Systems AC'97 Modem
Peripherals
Printer: HP Mobile Printing PS
USB1 Controller: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
USB1 Controller: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
USB1 Controller: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
USB1 Controller: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - USB Universal Host Controller [B-1]
USB2 Controller: Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-1]
Battery: Microsoft AC Adapter
Battery: Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
Battery: Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
Its got everything ideal for a mobile user Wi Fi, Gigabit Ethernet, DVD Combo, good mobile GFX card, a lot of USB ports, a FireWire Port and a strong processor with centrino support. The settings are ideal for a Businness / Student who is on the move.
The next process was to install Linux etc on it. So I deleted Repartitioned the HDD reinstalled Windows XP and freshly installed Fedora Core 4 Linux. The install was smooth as ever. The only problem came in the Fedora Core 4 as it wasn’t familiar with some of the new hardware. So I had to find drivers for the touchpad, display, modem and sound. Unfortunately the modem and sound doesn’t work in Linux to date, all other things are running fine in the system.
After spending time with the laptop I just fell in love with it. I became so much addicted to it that I became pretty much inseparable from it. For the first time in a long time I finally managed to do without my desktop computers for a whole day. The Laptop had all the essential features required and all in all it was consuming less power than my desktop computer. However I had to give the laptop to the next in the group as my term was in the end of the cycle. I am desperately waiting for the next chance I can get my hand on the beauty :-(
I think its time I reconsidered my opinion on laptops, as a matter of fact I am even planning to buy one. Not the flashy one but a simple elegant one that will suit my needs as a mobile user and kind a light on the pocket too may be lets say around Rs. 50,000. But I still have to wait for that day to come. I hope that day is not far away.




2 comments:
u GMA900 is good?
Yuck!
U cant play anything more than Quake 3 / Jedi Knight / NFS 5 generation games on it at high frame rates.
Counterstrike works. But don't expect 1024x768 32bit to work.
May be you are right in sayin its not the best solution and its sucks! But we were playin UT2K4 in you college LAN party in this GMA 900.
The point being You can play the essential games (UT2k4 & CS 1.6) dude. Unless you want everythin in Holy Shit Settings
Post a Comment