Saturday, June 03, 2006

One Night Stand

Its not every day, I get up and stay up all night to complete my exam portions for the exam that is to take place the very next day. The problem was the fact that I only got a single day to sum up all the portions for the exam on 1st June. All thanks to Serious Sam 2 that I kept playing all the way when I should have studied.

Now I already had spent half a night up for the exams on 30th May, giving me only one day for the Exam on “Principles of Programming Languages.” To start off I got up at noon time on 31st, had my lunch and set off to study since the portions that I was studying were being looked at for the first time :D (Oh yeah I never took a look at them during the series tests in class). But this time it was serious, if I don’t get 40 Marks minimum for this exam I stand to loose my job @ Cognizant Technology Solutions as well as writing the exam for the second time to pass. Now it dint matter to me about loosing the job @ CTS but writing the exam for the second time was a big pain in the ass.

Time passed as usual and the lessons were not going that very smoothly, mainly because that it was the first time I was going through it and the lessons weren’t that hard to understand either but time had to be taken to read each and every nook and corner of the book.

It was about 10.00 PM and I still haven’t completed the 1st module (our syllabus divides the portions for a subject into 3 modules). Each word in the modules ran into 5 to 6 pages. Reading them all wasn’t very interesting at times and tendency to fall asleep was also there. The subject mainly dealt with how programming languages were implemented and how the various features of the programming languages were implemented in a real computer.

By 12.00 AM it had just finished the 1st module which was pretty long. I knew I had to stay awake and study if at all I had to have any chance for passing the exam. So I decided to go for it. Started with a cup of coffee by 12.00 AM and started studying.

Almost 1 hr passed no strike of the effect of the sleep. I had also completed first few topics of the 2nd module. Things weren’t going smooth, lots of pages to cover. I was doing some topics on “Subprogram Calling”. Another thing that kept me awake was that I had to put downloads at 2.00 AM (Downloading Knight Rider Actually and happy hours are from 2.00 AM to 8.00 AM).

O.K time is 2.00 AM, went to the computer and put it on. After putting downloads it was back to studies again. Still no problems, completed a little more of the portions but most of them were vast and I have just completed around 20% of the module. By about 2.45 AM, I went to check on the downloads, the speed was a pathetic 10 kbps where I should have got 20 kbps.  Anyway back to the studies again.

By about 3.30 AM I was absolutely exhausted and had to take a break so decided to go to Human-Age and check whether my “Rhinoferocious” had been sold in the market. Bad news still in the 17th position, damn might take another day or two I thought, so back to some mail checking in gmail and then back with the books.

By about 4.00 AM sleep had begun to creep in. I decided to make some coffee for myself. So went to the kitchen started up the stove and put a pot of water and heated. At the peak of boiling I just put in the coffee and the boiling water just spat out lucky not on my face. Now that was the 1st time experience on How “NOT” to make coffee? Anyway I poured the hot coffee in a cup and brought it along with me to my living room where I was studying.

4.15 AM Took the first sip of the black coffee. Oh yeah now that’s the stuff baby bring it on. The caffeine going through my veins energized me and started studying again. After about half hour I realized its updated time in Human-Age. So went to the computer quickly and checked. Yup it’s all updated all right. Did the dealings for the day and came back to study. It is during this time I had noticed the various “sounds of the night” pretty different from the ones you hear in the day.

4.45 to 6.30 AM Hardcore studying finished about 90% of the 2nd Module. Then had to heat water, get my clothes etc to have the morning bath. In the mean time I also brushed my teeth though I dint feel like it since it was a regular formality. Finished my morning chores by 7.15 and had my breakfast and a cup of coffee.

8.20 AM Almost time for college bus got to the bus stop stand. I was kept awake by 3 Cups of coffee. The only thing I prayed was not to fall asleep in the middle of the exam. That is real bad idea. The 3rd module I left to fate.

9.30 AM to 12.30 PM exams had begun and saw the question paper the problem I had was that I wasn’t able to recall the things I studied kind of managed to make sense of all the information in my head. Finally by the end of it I had left some questions in the short answer section and a couple in the essay. And had finally written for about 48 to 58 marks out of 100

2.00 PM I reached home with a feeling that I might pass in the examination (at least with the help of moderation) I had a good night sleep (yes in the afternoon)

No comments: